has fired two unidentified projectiles off its east coast, South Korea says.
South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said the launches were done Wednesday from the Hodo peninsula. There was no confirmation from Pyongyang of the launch.
It comes just a week after the secretive state fired an earlier pair of missiles under the personal supervision of Kim Jong-Un.
The dictator said those tests had been a ‘solemn warning’ over the military drills planned in South Korea with the U.S., and that the missiles were newly designed tactical weapons.
Subscribe to Talkmore’sblog Newsletter
Thursday’s launch was the first since Kim and U.S. President Donald Trump agreed to resume nuclear talks during an impromptu June meeting in the demilitarised zone between North and South Korea.
It also came hours after a senior U.S. official said President Donald Trump has sent mementos from his brief visit to North Korea last month to Kim.
The official said a top staffer from the National Security Council hand-delivered photographs from the June Trump-Kim meeting at the demilitarized zone to a North Korean official last week.
The Trump administration official spoke on the condition of anonymity because the official wasn’t authorized to speak publicly.
That working-level dialogue has yet to begin and even before the recent launches, Pyongyang had warned the talks could be derailed by Washington and Seoul’s refusal to scrap the annual manoeuvres between South Korean and American soldiers.